One unit most teachers can’t wait to teach is apples! What a fun, hands on, and engaging way to teach about fall for little learners. Let’s talk about the outstanding themed books for a kindergarten classroom.
Johnny Appleseed Books
First, since Johnny Chapman AKA Johnny Appleseed is half the reason we celebrate apples in the fall, it is fitting we start with books about him.
- Johnny Appleseed by Jodie Shephard (This one is my favorite!)
- Johnny Appleseed by Reeve Lindbergh (poem)
- Johnny Appleseed Read to Read by Jane Kurtz
- Johnny Appleseed: My Story by David L. Harrison
Next, the science behind apples is amazing! What a great way to integrate the topics of apples across many subject areas. Check out these great science reads.
- Apples by Gail Gibbons
- How Do Apples Grow? by Betsy Maestro
- A Day in the Apple Orchard by Megan Faulkner
- The Season of Arnold’s Apple Tree by Gail Gibbons
- An Apple Tree’s Life Cycle by Mary R. Dunn
- From Apple Trees to Cider, Please! by Felicia Sanzari Chernesky
- Apples by Erika L. Shores
Fun with Fiction
Then, why only talk about science and social studies with apples? We can have fun with fictional books as well. Here is a great list of fictional titles.
- Apples, Apples, Apples by Elizabeth Wallace
- Fall Apple Fun by Martha E.H. Rustad
- Apples, Apples Everywhere by Robin Koontz
- Apple Picking Day by Candice Ransom
- Fall Apples: Crisp and Juicy by Martha E.H. Rustad
- Applesauce Day by Lisa J. Amstutz
- Apple Countdown by Joan Holub
Lastly, it is always great to have a few reads that students can grab a hold of and start to read themselves. I have these on hand for my little learners.
Bad Apple: A Tale of Friendship by Edward Hemingway
Printable Apple Book List
In case you want to take this list to your school library and local library, please you this printable list. It contains Amazon clickable links as well, just to be helpful for you! Click here for this link.