Who here is a huge fan of Osmo… like me? I love Osmo . I have a help to make Osmo Words and Numbers even better in your classroom. Here is how you can organize Osmos in the classroom. (This will help keep those Osmo tiles in their place.)
What is Osmo?
Osmo is an amazing learning tool parents and teachers can use with iPads and Kindles to enhance the device like never before! This award winning company has tons of learning tools, but for the purpose of this post, we are focusing on Words and Numbers here. You can check out Osmo’s website here. To use Osmo in the classroom, you will need either an iPad or Kindle. You will also need a base and game pieces.
Where can you Find Osmo?
You can get Osmos on their website or on Amazon.
1. Osmo Website
2. Amazon Link to Osmo Genuis Kit for iPad Older Version
3. Amazon Link to Osmo Numbers
4. Amazon Link to KINDLE Osmo Kit
5. Amaozn Link to Osmo Stand for iPhone
6. New Osmo Stand
What is Osmo Words?
Osmo Words is a free app. This game uses alphabet tiles to play. You can use free, premade games or even make your own customized games. You can check out how to make customized learning activities using Words here. These are just some of the reason teachers and students LOVE using osmo in the classroom!
What is Osmo Numbers?
Osmo Numbers is also a free app. This game uses number tiles and domino type number tiles. This game has many levels. It covers counting, making number sets, and addition.
What is the Problem?
The only problem I have found with using Osmo in the classroom is the tiles students use for their games. (To be honest, is really not a HUGE deal, but only a slight problem.) Here is the tiles in action while my students play a word building game. The mess during the learning and clean up just cause some management issues. But is there an easy, teacher tested solution you will want to know about!
Here is another image of my little learners in action. You can also see the Word packaging Osmo gives you as well as the tile box. Both are great quality and very useful. I also know they work excellent for one person using it at a time.
How Can I Organize Osmo Words?
Check out my organization solution for Osmo words. I have used this for two school years. It has worked great for students keeping a clean work surface and a fast clean up surface. I took the letter tiles and placed them into a divided compartment.
How Can I Organize Osmo Numbers?
This is the organization system I use for my numbers tiles and domino style pieces.
How to Make a a Organized Osmo System
- First, grab some bead storage boxes. I got mine for pretty cheap at Walmart or a similar store. Here is the letter tile one I used. Here is the number tile box I used. I also used these Avery labels.
- Next, I wrote the letters and numbers on the labels.
- Now, place the labels on the sides of the container in order. My daughter helped me with this task… if you can’t tell.
4. For the number tiles, I added pieces for the domino type pieces as well.
5. Place the pieces in the right places. I tried this without labeling the places and it did not work out at all. The compartments made a huge mess of not organized.
6. Place them for student use.
7. SHOW students how to use them. Below you can see letter compartments that were not labeled. Students did not place the pieces back in the right section.
Loving Osmo? I have so much more to share!